Antioxidants come up frequently in discussions about good health and preventing diseases. These powerful substances, which mostly come from the fresh fruits and vegetables we eat, prohibit (and in some cases even prevent), the oxidation of other molecules in the body. The benefits of antioxidants are very important to good health, because if free radicals are left unchallenged, they can cause a wide range of illnesses and chronic diseases.
Antioxidants are found in a wide range and variations because this different antioxidants provide benefits to different parts of the body.
- flavonoids are especially beneficial for heart health
- beta-carotene (and other carotenoids) is very beneficial to eye health
- lycopene is beneficial for helping maintain prostate health
- proanthocyanidins are beneficial for urinary tract health
Increasing antioxidants intake is very important for optimum healthy living, especially in today’s polluted world. Because the body just can’t keep up with antioxidant production, a good amount of these vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, and enzymes must come from daily diet.
This is simple antioxidant smoothie recipe:
- a few tb. of kefired milk
- a few kefir grains (optional)
- a handful of blueberries/blackberries
- a few tsp. of chia seeds
- 1-2 teaspoons lecithin granules
- 1/2 C. coconut milk
- coconut milk, extra if needed
- nuts, extra chia seeds or fruit- to serve
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend till smooth.
- Add extra coconut or kefir if needed.
- Enjoy over ice.
- One cup of Blueberry (cultivated) have 9,019 antioxidant capacity
- One cup of Blackberry(cultivated) have 7,701 antioxidant capacity